(Fun) Facts About Twin Oaks
THis is a lovely list, some things on it are not quite right, o partially right.
We have been installing solar panels (hot water and electirc) for quite a long time, Kawaeh has them and was completed inthe early 90s. The largest array was installed in 2008.
The old rope machine is finally dead, but we got great life out of it AND it was rescued from the dump and rehabilitated.
Members can go on PAL only after they have been in the community for a year and then once every three years after that (PALs can be as long as a year).
Great post. i am rebloging. THanks
- Founded: 1967
- Founder named Kat (she wrote a book called “Is it Utopia Yet?”
- Started with 8 people living in tents
- All of the buildings are named after other communes
- Non-violent community (there are no guns except for one shotgun to kill the cows)
- Hammocks: 25% net profit (used to make 20,000 hammocks a year but now make 6,000 a year)
- Tofu business just surpassed hammock business in net profit and makes about $500,000 a year
- Sauna built on the pond in 2004
- Solar panels installed in 2008
- There are 11,298 books in the community library
- Commie Clothes – gigantic shared clothes closet
- Allowance for each member is around $75 per month
- Thursdays at 5 PM is always Happy Hour
- Dairy Program – makes own cheese, yogurt, and butter
- A Record Spinning Party is thrown when a member turns 33 1/3 rd because a record has 33 1/3 rd revolutions…
View original post 239 more words