Unity in the Communities Movement
This post is one in a series on workshops being offered at this years Twin Oaks Communities Conference. Nicole Bienfang of The Transition will be presenting a workshop entitled Where’s the UNITY in the Communities Movement?
When you look at the writings of many founders who started ICs their intentions were to create a concept that grew to global proportions, but how does that happen when there is no unity of vision on how to grow the communities movement? How can we build a global system that supports our growth on a grassroots and global level when each IC acts as an isolated silo? Nicole’s workshop intends to dig deep into these questions and many more like them. Through group participation attendees will find out what other participants are currently struggling with, what is working for them, how neighboring communities can better support each other, and what overlapping issues resonate with everyone present.
Through the workshop you will find practical advice and resources with opportunities for self-reflection using group participation to illustrate workable examples and determine the focus the workshop takes.
Things that will be covered:
- How each individual can contribute to the global growth of the IC movement
- How to prevent founder burnout
- How to create partnerships between individuals and ICs that are mutually beneficial
- How to tap into an IC mutual aid network for tangible items and skills
Nicole’s workshop is right for you if you are:
- Struggling finding IC members that meet your ICs needs or criteria
- Need resources or funding to get your IC off the ground
- Would like to reduce your stress in founding your IC
- Could use some sage wisdom from people who have “been there done that”.
Are you yearning for community? The Transition serves social change makers (including ones wanting to form intentional communities) and provides them with support, space, and resources they need to succeed in the work they do, through an Action Plan, personal development, training and and most importantly an online and offline mutual aid network. Through their research The Transition knows when you can connect and share assets, people and ideas, everything changes for the better. You can help them create the world’s largest database of assets and resources, owned and cultivated by social change makers from all over the world, by registering on their website www.thetransition.org. When you join The Transition and become active and engaged with their online and offline community many resources are made available to you as well, by taking part in their global family. The more registered users that are enroll on the site the more assets and resources become communally available to all who are part of their mutual aid network. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Free WiFi
- Spaces to assemble
- Work space for projects
- Household goods
- “Blueprints” and Case Studies (crafted from input from individuals who learned the hard way and what not to do)
- Funding to support projects or get new ones off the ground
Map with registered The Transition website users spanning multiple countries.
Living in Community?
The Transition website is useful to people in many different situations-those who live communally, those trying to create social change groups, alternative living situations or those already involved in growing networks of activists.The Transition can help your community by:
- Matchmaking (matching communities with specific needs, with prospective communards, interns, or volunteers who have those skillsets)
- Screening prospective community members to make sure they are qualified leads with aligned values
- Training (Non-Violent Communication, Conflict Resolution, Meeting Facilitation, Community Governance etc)
- Cross-Promotion, PR, Outreach for your community and your community’s cottage industries
- Syndication for blogs, podcasts, video, music created by your community and individual communards
- Providing access to mutual aid (tangibles,skill-sets, travel accommodation)
- Updating our “Community Brain” with the newest and latest information to benefit your community’s longevity
- Promoting your events (Open Houses, Work Parties, Parties, Speaking Engagements, Conferences etc.)
A page from their member’s skills searchable inventory which includes expertise rank, and expandable details for more specifics
Objects page on The Transition website showcasing objects available to website users.
Some things they have in the pipeline in various stages of development are:
- A radio show that can help elevate and create a positive image for the IC movement in Babylon.
- A benefits program (life Insurance, legal counsel, exclusive discounts and sign-up incentives for everyday and monthly expenditures online and in local communities etc)
- A “People’s Bailout Program” to help get individuals out of financial debt (so they can invest in creating communities and positive social change projects)
- A crowd-funding platform called The Cooking Pot built within their website, that will offer a match contribution for all funds raised
- Alternative Spring Break programs for Teens & College Students
- Alternative Scouts program for youth
- Emergency/Relief Fund
Their organization and website is co-created and 100% volunteer run meaning that every registered user is part of the transitional process from our current zeitgeist to the a more idealized version of what we want the future to be. By relaying their newly acquired resources and findings from their social change work made “in the trenches” every individual using the site is strengthened and can eliminate pitfalls other activists and organizers made before the dawn of the internet.
You can listen to a podcast overview about the organization @ https://tinyurl.com/yc3h7pj4
If you are interested in volunteering or getting involved in any capacity start Your Action Plan.
Nicole Bienfang: As a co-founder of The Transition, she has dedicated her life to increasing the positive impact social change makers have on society. She is a research driven, lifelong learner, who uses that knowledge to build stronger relationships among communities with individuals from around the world.
- An unexpected path to quinks June 24, 2019
- Rainbow versus Burning Man June 10, 2019
- Getting the Band Back Together June 3, 2019
- May is Quink Fair! Forming May 24, 2019
- Temple of Oracles May 22, 2019
- Craft Weaves Together May 19, 2019
- Bye Cam April 27, 2019
- April is #ReleaseTheReport April 4, 2019
- Digital Iron Lips February 26, 2019